1 pound lump crabmeat – cleaned
1-1/2 cups half saltine cracker crumbs and half Ritz crackers
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup finely chopped celery/
3 cloves minced garlic
3 chopped green onions
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup mayonnaise (good quality)
2 slightly beaten egg whites
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Sweat the celery, scallions and garlic in a touch of olive oil until tender. Set aside – cool to room temperature.
2. Mix cleaned crabmeat with cracker crumbs, parmesan cheese and parsley. Mix gently to keep the crabmeat intact. Set aside.
3. In vegetable mixture, combine the mayonnaise, cayenne and egg whites. Add to the dry ingredients and season with salt and pepper. Be sure the mixture is moist but not too wet. It will almost fall apart.
4. Divide this recipe into 8 crab cakes and shape into patties. The patties can be stored in the refrigerator at this point between sheets of wax paper. When ready to saute, heat the oil in a large saute pan or griddle. On medium to medium-high heat, saute until golden brown, about 4 minutes each side. Make up this recipe and freeze prepared cakes for an easy meal after a hard day.
5. Serve with a lemon wedge.
Contributed by our customer Pat Hoots, Fall 2009