Capt. Hurshell’s Grouper in Tomato Wine SauceMarch 21, 2014
Leroys She Crab Bisque
3 tablespoons butter
Small bunch of chives (or 1 Tsp. dried chives)
1 stalk celery, diced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups fish stock (clam broth, clam juice, vegetable broth or even chicken stock)
4 Cups Half-n-Half
1 pound lump or jumbo lump crab meat, flaked
1/4 cup sherry
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt (depending on salt in the “stock”)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups hard-cooked eggs
1/2 teaspoon sweet Spanish paprika
- Place eggs in a 2 quart saucepan and cover with water. Bring water to a boil. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 10-12 minutes. Remove eggs from hot water and cool.
- Press the yolks of hard-boiled eggs through a sieve or strainer and set aside (or use a spoon to press-it’s easier). You’ll have a pile of granular egg yolk. This is the key as it replaces the crab roe that would be used.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over medium low heat. Add the chives and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook/stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the stock and Half-n-Half. Bring to a simmer.
- Add cooked egg yolks, crabmeat, sherry, salt and pepper and heat through. Ladle into bowls and garnish each serving with a pinch of paprika (and the sliced egg whites-if desired).